Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Mary R. Waples Scholarship
Download Nomination Form (PDF)
Download Nomination Form (Word)
Criteria for Application/Nomination
A. The Award
- The Mary R. Waples Scholarship was established in 1988 by Mary Waples, college nurse at JMU from 1923 - 1943, worker for the American Red Cross, and enthusiastic supporter of the JMU nursing program since its beginning. This scholarship is not need-based but is viewed as an award.
- This Scholarship is given to a rising senior nursing student. Nursing students or faculty can make nominations. Students may nominate themselves or be nominated other students. Nominations/applications are reviewed according to the designated criteria and the decision is made by vote of the nursing faculty in collaboration with the academic unit head.
B. Procedure for Nomination
- Complete the nomination form indicating your choice for the award, and return to School Secretary in the school office no later than March 1.
- Substantiate your nomination/application concisely and specifically. Responses are evaluated according to quality of written presentation, and the breadth and adequacy of documentation. Document active involvement with specific examples and include time frame and degree of involvement for each area. If desired, submit a letter of support from a supervisor or person knowledgeable about the quality and degree of participation.
- Rising senior nursing student
- Successful academic achievement including cumulative GPA
- Community Service: Includes activities outside the University system, within the University system, and both within and outside nursing. Consideration is given to the quality of substantiation and both the degree and quality of involvement.
- Leadership/Organizational Involvement: Includes activities both within the campus and beyond and within and outside nursing. Involvement may be general, university, college, school of nursing, etc. Roles might include officers, committees, special projects/events, and participation as a member. Extent, nature and quality of involvement should be documented and evidenced.