RN to BSN Completion Program
Admission to the RN/BSN program of study in Nursing is competitive. Prospective students must have the following qualifications:
- Associate Degree or Diploma in Nursing from a community college or diploma nursing school.
- Transcripts reflecting a cumulative GPA on all college work attempted of 2.5 or better on a 4-point scale with a minimum GPA of 2.5 in Nursing (if applicable).
- TOEFL scores greater than 570 for international applicants.
- Current unrestricted RN license in any state, Washington D.C., or a U.S possession or territory.
- Graduates of foreign nursing schools who are licensed outside of the United States are required to pass the Qualifying Exam of the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS).
- Employment as an RN for a minimum of six months or plans to practice concurrently with coursework.
- Ability to meet the school's Technical Standards for nursing practice (posted on the nursing website).
JMU’s RN/BSN Program follows a standard online learning model using the Canvas platform. Find more details on what to expect in this online learning environment by taking a short assessment of your computer skills.
There is a mandatory one-time, one-day RN/BSN Orientation held before the start of both fall and spring semesters that counts toward the 1 credit course NSG 324 – Strategies for Academic Success. Students unable to attend will be required to defer to the following semester.
The James Madison University RN/BSN Program agrees to notify all students in writing who are enrolled within the program whether or not the program meets requirements for licensure in the state where the student resides. If it is unknown whether the program will meet licensure requirements in the student’s state of residence, JMU will inform in writing and provide the student with the contact information for their appropriate state licensing board(s). Email to the student’s best known email address will be the primary method of contact; however, other means of contact will be employed if/when necessary.